Statement of Intent


The NEA brief set for this year is a music magazine front cover along with a double page spread of the content of the magazine, specifically targeted at 14-18 year olds. Keeping this mind, I conducted an audience research to get an idea of the type of genre and overall style of the magazine preferred by this specific demographic. This gave me quite a clear route to take in order to begin thinking about the construction of my magazine and what it will include. I will use various media language techniques such as mise en scene, camerawork, editing, lighting props etc to portray meaning throughout my magazine as it will relate more to the target audience, whilst at the same time having a professional look to it.
I plan on experimenting a lot with different camera angles in order to explore various different ways that the reader or someone overlooking is able to feel and the initial thoughts presented from this. I will also try to incorporate a range of different techniques for the editing and play around with lighting to see what works and what doesn’t. This will allow me to make sure that all the different components featured on my magazine complement and enhance each other well.
For the background, I would prefer to use a studio background rather than an outside location as this will mean it would be easier to edit and the use of studio lighting will help me to increase the focus on the actual model.
As my artist is a female, some stereotypes will automatically be placed within, however I plan to subvert these stereotypes through the representation of clothes on the model as these will help to mainly oppose the specific gender stereotypes and allow the reader to understand the views of the artist especially. I also plan to appeal to my reader through the use of mode of address and intertextuality, to help them to relate more to the articles included or the overall image of the magazine.



Comments

Popular Posts