Findings/ Analysis of results





Question 1&2: What is your age and gender?


This was my first question as I felt it was important to know the ages and genders of the people that were responding to my survey. This was in order to make sure I could take results from the correct ages as it would affect my target audience. The genders question was entirely necessary however I included it anyway to see the differences in opinion, if there were any. I got a variety of results for these questions. For the ages, most of the responses were my target audience that I was targeting this survey at (14-18 year olds) however, there were some results which went slightly over or under such 12, 13 and 19. I am still including these in my findings as they won't make a huge difference to the overall average of the results and the responses are fairly similar anyways. Majority of the people that answered my questions were female which shows the increased interest in music magazines because personally,  I think the option was equal to both genders however mostly females decided to take part in this.

Question 3: Do you listen to music often?
This question was necessary in order for me to see if the responses I got were from people who actually listened to music on a regular basis. From the result, I can see that 97% of the people answered, and only 1 person answered 'occasionally'. The fact that no one answered no to this question shows that everyone in this specific demographic takes an interest in music so their results would be beneficial to me.


Question 4: What music genre are you mostly interested in?
This question allowed me to see which music genres interested people in the target demographic. I made an option to be able to choose as many as possible for this question because usually, picking just one genre is quite difficult and I felt as if the option should be there anyways. Most people chose more than one option although it doesn't show here. The genre with the most votes was hip hop/rap and pop which was quite expected as it is very popular in this specific age range and I enjoy it too which is good as it will help me to enjoy the content I am creating for my magazine front cover. The top 4 most popular genres received a similar amount of votes whereas the rest of the choices were quite far off, which shows that those genres are more widely appreciated and I will have to find a way to incorporate them all into my final piece.

Question 5: Why is this your chosen preference?
This question was a short text answer which allowed me to get more detail on chosen choices. The report generator on typeform did not gather the results of short text questions which is why I selected some of the answers to present. The responses vary and it all depends on the person itself. I asked this question to see if the chosen genre was their own decision or affected by another factor and there's a mixture of results here proving that the area someone has been raised in can affect their choices and also their personal feelings experienced when listening to music. These responses will help me get an idea of the sort of reasons certain genres might be popular and then incorporate it into my own work. 

Question 6: Do you think your taste in music is popular?


The responses I received on this question enabled me to see peoples opinions on whether they think their taste in music is popular among their peers. Majority answered with 'yes' which shows that the widespread taste in music within this audience of 14-18 year olds is similar. 'No' was only chosen by 1 person which again shows how it's not a common answer and most believe that their choice sin music would be liked by others around them of similar ages.

Question 7: Who is your favourite artist/s?
This again allowed people to state their own opinion and the result was very varied in terms of artists. Some chose only artist, whereas others stated a few. The most popular among these were artists such as Drake, Dave, XXXTentacion, Skengdo x AM and Rihanna. These artists are known to dominate the hip-hop/ rap and grime/drill industry which shows the common link with the most popular genre. Other artists included Tame Impala, 1975, Zayn, Sia, Harlem Spartans, Beyonce, Migos, Shawn Mendes, Beyonce, Childish Gambino, J Cole, AJ Tracey, Skepta, Kehlani, BTS, BYoung, Eminem etc. 

Question 8: Have you read any music magazines? 
This question showed me the percentage of people who had previously read music magazines before. Majority answered No which shows that in this day and age young people are less likely to read magazines as more choices are available. A lot of people also answered with 'don't remember' which most likely means that they have had contact with magazines but are unsure of whether they actually read one related to music. This will give an idea as to what to include in the magazine to catch their attention. 


Question 9: Which of these magazines are you most likely to read based off the cover?

I gave a range of options to choose from on this question with different artists and different genres. The most popular one was Drake on Billboard magazine which brings out his popularity among this age group. No one chose Bob Dylan or Ed Sheeran from MOJO and Q magazine which suggests how that artist or the type of music they produce is unpopular. I can now base my articles relating to the most popular answers in order to attract the audience and make them more interested in reading the magazine.




Question 10: Which features of the magazines cover appeals to you the most?

This question was important in order for me to decide what it actually was about the front cover which attracted people. The artist was clearly the most popular choice however there was the option to choose more than one and the colour scheme of the magazine was fairly popular too. This shows me what I need to put more emphasis on my own cover in order to make it as appealing as possible to this demographic.












Comments

Popular Posts